Sarchasm :' The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it. '

.....love it!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Bad mummy.................to be or not to be?

Today when I got home from a morning shift, I found a gaggle of the 'kids from the block' hanging around our front porch and our apparently uber cool ever so slight hill, which presents many options for a gleefull afternoon on scateboards or scooters or just plain old goofing around.  Infact, now that I see it so well loved, I can't see how we looked past this hillock in the first place.  It made my heart sing to see my kids just being kids and playing with the neigbours and all being OUTSIDE.  BEING KIDS, OUTSIDE.....

After the obligatory snack and drink offers, the kids have all gone their separate ways after hours of playing together (or 'hanging out' as I have been instructed to say by my daughter) and one straggler encouraged our kids to go to the local soccer oval for a kick.  The problem is.....it's *slightly* out of sight.  SO, I have to trust them, or rather trust myself that I have given them the necessary life skills to be safe and look after one another. 

I have slight heart palpitations...helped somewhat by the 'medicinal' redwine the King just poured me.  He also kindly reminded me that this is why we moved...so that the kids COULD get out from behind their 6 foot chain mesh fence and learn to be kids again, in a small wholesome community.    But, it begs the question from my ever guilt ridden mind ( I REALLY should have been born Catholic, I would be great in confession)  am I a BAD MUMMY for letting them do this?

Inspired by the writing of the blogger Free Range Kid (http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/s), and my own beliefs (namely that kids need to be able to learn to be kids!) I am trying to loosen the rope a little.  What do you think?








Ok.......I'm not proud to admit it, but moments after posting this I caved in and had to go and have a peep at my babies.   Oh well, something to work on ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment