Sarchasm :' The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it. '

.....love it!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Simple Christmas.....





An Oxymoron I hear you say? Well, yes ...and No. Long before we knew we would be trying to move at the busiest time of the year, my husband had declared he wanted a 'Darwin' Xmas, like when he was young. Read: Prawns and Beer ha ha maybe with a garnish!
Last year, though I must confess to enjoying attempting a (thoroughly unpractical in this damned heat) 'Nigella's Christmas' I was all too happy to succumb to his wishes, with a *slight* embellishment on the menu. We have extended to a seafood buffet, still within a reasonable budget and accepted the kind offers of help from my dear Cuzzy. We simply must still have our family traditional Christmas additions : Tomato Pie and Pavlova. Since discussing the 'menu' the poor little kids ( known from here on in as the 'wrangers' for obvious reasons) have both been very ill with tonsilitis...so we are considering simply dipping strawberries ( or our fingers) into white chocolate whipped cream.......
As we are 'downsizing' (ha) I did not buy the usual craft selection for the kids to keep them entertained. Rather, I gathered my wits (and this is no small feat believe me) and made a list of old fashioned xmas decorations we could make together with simple stuff from around the house....and they have really enjoyed stapling their fingers to strips of coloured paper...I mean making colourful paper chains for the curtain rods, instead of hanging tinsel....and making lovely candle holders with empty beer bottles....I saved up all year for these two and Hubby was keen to help too, funny that. See photo below of their handiwork. AND while I was worried the old fake tree wouldnt make it thru another season, we didn't want to buy another one just before we go .....with a lot of 'backcombing' the tree puffed out to an acceptable wiriness and though it is leaning to one side with the weight of tinsel, they are extremely proud of their decorations. Which is more important, and with a glass of bubbles and a 'relaxed neck' it looks mighty fine!

This year we also decided on one main family present, namely a Wii, which I will definitely impress the kids with my deft manouvres and cunning skill.....if I dont trip over and hang myself on the cords!! They will love it as they are sure to beat me, and yes sadly I WILL be trying. Nothing is better for making you feel like a success than beating your 5 year old in a game.


Wishing you all a fabulous Christmas and hope you can spend it with those you love.

x


NB. Apologies for the photos, I thought they said you couldn't break this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment