Sarchasm :' The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it. '

.....love it!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do I dare say it out loud?

......pssss, come over here and I'll whisper it to you........

I think I may have my georgeous little boy back.....

He had run out of his prescription for Singulair over the weekend, and we had been toying with the idea of weaning him off it due to many complications, some of which include, hysterical tantrums out of the blue, night terrors, puffy face, hallucinations and did I mention hysterical random tantrums???  where we all end up losers? 

Anyway, at some point the King and I agreed that it would be better for his self esteem and the family in general to have him off these tablets and watch his asthma for a while to see if he has improved enough to need treatment only as it presents.  He has been on something or rather since he was 3 months old, and frankly I am worried what this will mean for his health long term.   The Dr. poo pooed my concerns based on research prior to him going on it, and agreed maybe we should do a trial weaning after hearing the issues, however this was just before we left to go to Vietnam and as he said, timing was pretty bad.  We refilled that prescription and have just run out now.

I was so paranoid the first night, waiting for terrible reactions, asthma flare up and barking in the wee hours, feeling sick and more hysterical tantrums.  NOPE, all I have seen ( and this is the end of the dreaded 'day 3' as advised by the pharmacist) is my beautiful boy who has been on so many steroids and chemicals I have only seen snatches of him so far in his first 5 years.  Enough to know he is charismatic and charming but also prone to impulsive and wild 'behaviours'.  He has not displayed any.....at all, in fact he has been singing, 'I'm a singaLET, I'm a singalet', complete with Beyonce booty dance and has been giggling so much, I'd never heard him laugh so much its beautiful.  I have had more than my fair share ( but who's complaining) of impulsive HUGS, not slaps...HUGS today and the only time I had to reprimand him today was because when we were shopping, he was playing with his sister TOO MUCH....


Sissy does not know how to take him, she normally has to resort to having her own tantrum to be heard and though he was nice all day, she is understandably a bit wary when he runs over to throw his arms around her for a cuddle...normally he would probably have knocked her flying for a piece of Lego or similar.


No complaints from Spidey about 'aching legs' or headaches today, no troubles getting off to sleep either since Friday night, no puffy face like he is having a reaction to some allergen, no night terrors, no hysterical tantrums, no nasty behaviours, not hyped and impulsive at all really.  He seems to have more energy and be thinking clearly, eg he asked me on Friday night for his 'doggy with the thingy on his head'....tonight he asked for his 'black doggy with the sad eyes, the one with antlers' (xmas toy)...its like he can articulate ideas better.  In the last few days he has also been using emotive words to describe how he feels instead of flaring up.  I am amazed.

I will write a small disclaimer though, while this treatment has not come without its failings, Asthma is a very serious illness and one that prior to its use, had him based on long term steroid treatment which has very real side effects of its own and was not as reliable in preventing attacks, resulting in many hospital visits and many many nights stuck in a steamy bathroom and on a ventilator....and behavioral issues as a side effect aswell. 

However.....so far, we have a happy healthy child,  and a happy  HOUSEhold...WIN WIN.

I will keep you all posted!

x

3 comments:

  1. Great to read that you think you have your little boy back! We know what a relief it can be to start having more good times than bad!
    Those meds can really mess with their little bodies. Our DS17 was also on a lot as a child, and it is scary the affect it can have on their bodies. We worried when we took him off them, but didn't look back after we had!
    Hope all is continuing to go well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good to hear/read. I am so pleased for you all.
    I hope the good things continue.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support lovely ladies! I have been terrified of making the wrong decision, and despite the normal 5 year old tanty's things have settled down and no more night terrors or weird talk about hallucinatory objects etc....he has a mild cold which can sometimes mean an attack is looming but he is handling it well with just the occaisional dose of ventolin on his puffer....PHEW...so far so good! xx

    ReplyDelete